If you must study in New Zealand, you must make an application to obtain a New Zealand student visa. The application could be done online or in person that is from within the country if you are within the country or in person before you travel.
For you to make an application from within your home country, you must contact a local New Zealand embassy to obtain the application form. You called also visit the official website www.immigration.govt.nz if you are applying online to create a profile.
The application should be done at least six weeks before you decide to travel to the country. Citizens or permanent resident of New Zealand and Australia, do not require a student visa to study in New Zealand.
Student Visa Requirement
- First, you have to apply to the school and obtain a letter of admission which needs to be approved by the New Zealand Qualification Authorities.
- If you are below the age of 18 years, you must request a written letter from a person or the institution confirming that you have available accommodation in New Zealand.
- There should equally be some proof that shows you are financially buoyant to sponsor your education while studying in the country.
- You must obtain a return air ticket to your home country or proof that you have enough cash to buy one.
- If your study program is going to last more between six months and above, you would have to be examined for tuberculosis, this is very mandatory.
- Those who are 18 years and above, and have the intention of staying in New Zealand for more than two years, they will be required to provide a police report that shows you have good conduct and a clean record in your home country.
- You will have to apply for a visitor visa if you are studying a three months course or lesser you won’t be needing a student visa.
If you have received a chance in an approved exchange scheme, you could apply to obtain a student visa for the period of your exchange but you must first meet the required health and character criteria and a candid exchange partaker.
You could also study on a working holiday scheme as long as the duration of the course does not exceed six months.