Provides customer service to the library customers in-person, roving the branch, telephone/switchboard and/or through electronic/web chats. Provides assistance with membership services. Supports materials and cash handling activities. Work is performed within the context of the policies and framework of the Library corporate culture as embodied in the Mission Statement, Core Values, Customer Experience Guidelines and the Canadian Library Association position statements on Intellectual Freedom and Diversity and Inclusion, with particular emphasis on providing customer service excellence.
Education & Experience
- Completion of Secondary school graduation diploma (Grade 12).
- Minimum of one (1) year library or customer service experience
Language, Certificates & Licenses
- The successful candidate will be required to complete a Criminal Record Check to the City of Ottawa’s satisfaction.
- Various language requirements, locations may require English, French or Bilingual competencies.
- French oral, reading, writing required
- English oral, reading, writing required
- Knowledge of customer service techniques and protocols
- Knowledge and experience with computers, Microsoft Office applications and other equipment including electronic devices
- Experience with integrated library systems
- Methods and techniques for sorting and shelving library materials according to alphabetical, Dewey Decimal or other prescribed sequence and procedures
- Library circulation procedures and practices
- Methods and techniques for handling cash
- Methods and techniques of responding to inquiries and resolving patron complaints
- General knowledge of Ottawa Public Library policies and procedures
- Knowledge of applicable health and safety legislation, including the rights and duties of workers
Competencies & Skills
- Customer service orientation, including the use of tact, discretion and confidentiality
- Effective verbal and written communications and interpersonal skills
- Reasonable judgment in a professional setting
- Effectively apply technology to library services and programs
- To carry out a range of circulation activities, including registration, collecting fees
- Ability to respond effectively to a range of library service inquiries and resolve complaints
- Ability to perform routine manual or clerical tasks and manoeuvre book carts and lift boxes up to 40 pounds
- Ability to handle and account for cash and to prepare bank deposits
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to deal with the public and handle problems as they arise
- Perform multiple tasks concurrently
- Ability to work effectively independently and as a team member
If this opportunity matches your interest and profile please apply online by using the “Apply” button. If this is your first online application please refer to our resources on how to apply for jobs online.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected to continue in the selection process will be contacted.
The City of Ottawa is committed to providing quality services by establishing a qualified workforce that reflects the diverse population it serves. The City encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Accessible formats and communication supports are available upon request. Please contact the HR Service Centre at 613-580-2424, extension 47411.
To apply for this job please visit careers.ottawa.ca.