How Your Sibling in Canada Can Help You Immigrate Permanently To Canada?

As a permanent resident in Canada, there are ways you can sponsor or bring a family member with you to Canada and help them process a permanent resident visa. They could be your dependent child, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or adopted child or children etc.

Canada in recent time has tried to unite or reunite families with one another. This is the backbone of the immigration policy in Canada. With the gracious family unification/reunification program, siblings and family members residing permanently in Canada or a citizen in Canada can sponsor their relatives to Canada permanently.


To bring a sibling or a close relative to study, live and work in Canada you must meet the basic requirements which allow you to sponsor.

  • You must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident as we mentioned earlier.
  • You must be above 18 years.
  • You must be registered as an Indian under the Canadian Indian act.
  • You must have a clean criminal record or charge with any serious offense.
  • You must not be under any removal order if you are a permanent resident.
  • You must be able to prove that you can sponsor your relatives’ basic needs (food, shelter, clothes, and others) as well as support your own family and other dependents.
  • You must enter an agreement with the government of Canada as well as the relative that is been sponsored, that you will financially support the family member of the sponsored relative for a certain period and the relative sponsored relatives will put in efforts to sponsor themselves.
  • You must also ensure that your relative is of best behavior and he/she has no criminal records or have been involved in any serious crime in their country.
  • You must ensure that you do not owe the Canadian government or its provinces any money or other obligations for past sponsorship applications.
  • Your sponsored relative must be under 18 years.
  • You cannot become a sponsor if you are receiving social assistance for any reason that is not a disability
  • You cannot become a sponsor if you came to Canada through a sponsor, and you have not stayed for more than 5 years.
  • You cannot become a sponsor if you have sponsored a someone before and it has not been three years since the person you sponsored became a permanent resident.
  • You cannot become a sponsor if you have already applied to sponsor someone but have not been given a response.
  • You cannot become a sponsor if you sponsored a relative before and did not meet the requirements for sponsorship agreement, you were violent or sexually offended a relative and was pardoned.

For some people who have siblings or relatives who are 18 years and above, you can still sponsor them if the sponsor is lonely and has no spouse, a common-law partner, a mother or father, a child or any close relative in Canada.

Click NEXT to continue reading…

Add comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

New Members: Welcome!

* indicates required

Buy This Book If You Are From Nigeria

Canada Permanent Residence Blueprint