In this guide, I will be covering the step-by-step instruction of how you can apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) in Canada, documents requirements, and any other important information about applying for your TRV.
This article contains an instruction guide on all the processes you will be required to follow to apply for your Temporary Resident Visa and the forms you will need to fill out.
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also known as ‘Visitor’s visa’ or ‘entry visa’ is a document placed in your passport that permits you to enter or re-enter Canada.
Who Can Apply For A Visitor’s Visa?
If you are not from any of the visa exempt countries that do not require visas to enter Canada, you will need a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter/re-enter Canada.
If you are planning to visit Canada for purposes such as tourism, visiting family or friends or you want to take a business trip to Canada, you need to obtain a TRV before departing from your home country.
The Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) costs $100.00 CAD and $85.00 CAD for biometrics, if applicable.
Requirements For Canada Temporary Resident Visa
In order to qualify for a Temporary Resident Visa to Canada, you must meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
You must also:
- satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay,
- show that you have enough money to maintain yourself and your family members in Canada and to return home,
- not intend to work or study in Canada unless authorized to do so,
- be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity,
- not be a risk to the security of Canada,
- provide any additional document requested by the officer to establish your admissibility, and
- be in good health (complete a medical examination if required).
What documents are required for a Temporary Resident Visa?
Use the Document Checklist [IMM 5484] to assist you in gathering the required documents to submit an application.
Note: Some visa offices may require additional supporting documents specific to your country. Check the Application for a Visitor Visa page for more information.
Simply choose your country and click the ‘Get documents‘ button to get the complete list of all the required documents for your Temporary Resident Visa application.
Fill Out Your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) Application
After you have gather all required documents, the next step will be to complete your Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) application.
Ensure to correctly fill out your application form with correct information. This is an important part of the process as missing or incorrect information can negatively impact the outcome of your application.
The following are the forms that must be filled out and submitted:
- Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257] (PDF, 0.56 MB)
- Family Information (IMM 5645 or IMM 5707)
- Document Checklist [IMM 5484] (PDF, 1.12 MB)
- Document Checklist – Applicants in Canada [IMM 5721] (PDF, 0.91 MB), if applicable
- Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 0.78 MB), if applicable
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.53 MB), if applicable
- Authority to release personal information to a designated individual [IMM 5475] (PDF, 1.52 MB), if applicable.
Submit Your Temporary Resident Visa Application
After you have gathered your documents and completed your forms, the next step wil be to submit your Temporary Resident Visa application.